Saturday 14 May 2022

Cruiser-X 79 - Shackled with Chains

 So far 6 levels were created and developed during this project. Now it was time for me to work on level 7 - Branded with Chains. Before watching some TV, I started on working on level 7 of Cruiser-X 79. Since the previous two levels were mainly based inside enemy bases/worlds. I decided to set this level back into space. Also I wanted to add some cool effect to the level as well.

The first thing I did for level 7. I loaded up level 2's data. Then I completely cleared the map (and saved it as level 7, just in case I saved the file incorrectly as level 2). I then set the colour scheme and set up the stars and planets (Which after Saul's update, I hope to be spiral galaxies). The project got saved again and it was time to watch some TV. 

The next day I loaded up the project, and I worked on making level 7's graphics. While doing this, I was listening to some music on Deepsid throughout. I designed the base layout, and constructed some large and also small chains. The large chains have been set to be static, and the small chains have been set at the scrolling chars. This is to give a good visual, when the lower chains are inside a shaft or between the two large chains. I also added a bit of branding to the game as well. That's right 'TND' has been embedded on some of the bases. I saved all the work.

Next I loaded up Goat Tracker and I worked on the in game music. Although the game consists of chains and things like that. I wanted to so something like a moderate speed up-tempo soundtrack to suit the game's level. After listening to tunes from Fairlight demos during developing the graphics. I thought that type of style of music might be ideal for the game. I worked on the sound tracks for a couple of hours or so, and came out with a masterpiece. I saved the piece of music.

I went back to Charpad to export the map, charset and tiles data to my C64 Studio project. Then I loaded up C64 Studio and edited the level colour table to match my Charpad file. Then built the batch file, so that level 7's music and graphics data gets compressed. Then test run the level. It looked great. Everything unpacked fine and at the correct colour. The music blended in well with the game, but I think I made the tune too long. It didn't finish when near to the end of the level. I think the intro of the tune could be tool long, so I might just remove the intro when I come back to the music perhaps next week. Still, I am pretty pleased with the result of Level 7.



No comments:

2023 at a glance

2024 is here, and 2023 has been a really quiet year on the production front due to everything that had gone back to normality. The year has ...