Saturday 30 April 2022

Cruiser-X 79: Fear the Freeze

 First of all, a quick note to let you know that during may, this project will be paused for a short period of time to make way for my 4K game for the Craptastic 2022 game development competition. It is unknown how long it will take me to write my 4K game. I'm hoping about 2 or 3 weeks or so.

Secondly some fantastic news about my levels. Saul has been working on updating my level designs, and they have been turning out pretty well. I am really pleased with the overall result from levels 2-5 (As level 1 needed nothing updated). Out of all of the levels so far, "Level 5" is my personal favourite.

On Thursday and Friday, I started with designing Level 6 and yesterday I did some more updates to the level and finished making the map. Level 6 is a freezing cold stage in which contains plenty of ice. I used Level 3's graphics data, as there was a nice cube in the space background, which looks pretty good for this level. The colour scheme uses cyan, light blue and white. However, Saul might decide on some different colours. The player ship is cyan, but it still can be seen (thankfully). I wanted to make level 6 harder than level 5, so more deadly background was added.

Today I worked on adding the music and putting the test level together. The music which I have chosen for level 6 is a rendition of one of my trance tracks, Ice Dream, which I originally did for Scene World about 2 years ago. I did a PC remix of the same tune (See: Nucleo448 - Trance Remix) and also in Nucleo 448 as in game music. I liked this composition a lot, so I decided to do another version for Cruiser-X 79. 

The level data got exported as character set, tiles, map and music data. Then crunched through the Exomizer V3.1.1 (in V2 mode). The level table got modified once more. I compiled and run the game into VICE, and played all the way to level 6. Argh, I think I have made the level too difficult with all those big walls, which the player has to avoid. However, I will give those a tweak next time I go back into the game project, and of course before I work on level 7 (unless of cource Saul has done it already). However, I do like the ice-blue theme in that level and the wonderful in game music. 

That's it for now with Cruiser-X 79. The project is now paused for a short term until after my 4K Craptastic Compo 2022 entry is finished and submitted. Then I'll be back onto it.



No comments:

2023 at a glance

2024 is here, and 2023 has been a really quiet year on the production front due to everything that had gone back to normality. The year has ...