8th-12th July 2016
Last time when I was
working on this little game project I was working on the main game
framework. Well, now, a little more work has been done over the previous
2 or 3 days during my spare time. Unfortunately things will go pretty
much quiet for just over 2 weeks or so (That cannot really be helped!).
Anyway, here's what has happened this time round.
the main game engine, and felt much more happier with it. I decided to
do a spot of music and SFX composing. So in order to do this. I used
Goat Tracker. As the music editor can also support sound effects with
music. Considering that when I produce the title screen in the near
future. I will want 3 different options, the player can choose for sound
(and music). They are: Music, Music + SFX, or SFX Only. It took me a
couple of hours or so to think and compose a tune I wanted to make for
the game. I decided to stick to the melodic trance type of theme, and
ended up with a pretty stunning result. Sound effects were created and
converted to source code. Then I generated the byte tables for each
sound effect in order to implement into the game's code.
next job was to sort out the scoring system. So I implemented the score
in a multiple of 10 points. Aliens of a certain type will score 10
points, some 20, and also some 30 points. I also been working on
subroutines, in which will fade alien colours to a darker RGB, before it
can be killed. This will be taking effect on later levels. Earlier
levels will start with the basics, from having less aliens, to having
them all on screen. The idea for each level is to eventually have alien
colours lighter on some aliens - Making the player have to shoot more
than just one shot at the alien. I am also considering to so something
like a 'Special Power Up' alien. In which an alien appears in an unusual
colour. Should it get shot, the player could have faster firepower, or
even faster movement. This idea is currently on the drawing board, but
should it happen. Then it would probably make things a whole lot better.
Levels should have varied alien speed - where later levels are much
more faster. I will also need to vary the bullet speed.
graphics ... A background has been designed and created, although it
isn't really a final background design. There are still some minor issues, but yet again, it is still just for testing. The score charset also has some
minor pixel bugs, which will be fixed at the end of the main game. Here
is a preview snapshot of the game's progress.
Things to do next:
in about just over 2 weeks time, I intend to tidy up the code, and get
those aliens moving the full screen, rather than part screen (Although
sprites are being used for this). The trick will be to check if an alien
at each end is alive or not. If an alien on the very left or right on
all 5 rows dead, then the next alien sprite should be able to reach the
edge of the screen before moving downwards.
Also there is the
front end with game options to work on. The idea for the new front end
will be to do something pretty much spectacular. Also give out the
scoring system for each alien shot.
Then there are also
the levels to setup as well. In which the invaders will appear on
different lines, and perhaps as different colours as well. This idea is
to give some variety into this game.
I might even do an option where the player can choose between a solid sprites, or checkered sprites.