Wednesday 25 May 2022

Cruiser-X 79: Lava hard work

 Last weekend I have been working on level 8, which is yet again based in space. However, I wanted to give the game a sort of a hot feeling. That's right. Level 8 is a lava base. I loaded up Charpad. I loaded up the graphics from Level 2. Then I cleared the whole screen and re-drawn the space background. Afterwards I placed in the tiles that formed the enemy base.

The next thing for me to do was to make sure that the level did not look too much like Level 2. So I edited the charset graphics and replaced some of those as new charsets. I tried experimenting with different looks for the enemy base. I decided to try and give it some hot look. I turned a few of the unused chars into plain chars, so that I could create a checkerboard effect. Also I altered the two scrolling charsets to represent the lava, which should parallax scroll with the game scene. A floor mosaic of an invader (with two high pillars) were implemented for the eyes. 

After completing my base, I worked on some music. This time, using the GoatTracker Ultra V1.2.0. Like with level 5, I thought it would be good to do an atmospheric fast thumping trance style tune for that level. I went for a traditional exotic mood inside the sound track. 

After finishing the music I exported all of the graphics data, and also imported the music into the game project source. I loaded up C64Studio and edited the level table and set the colour to match the level. The D64 building batch file got edited Then I compiled the project once more and run it to only load that level (I says level 1 on the status panel, but this is only test mode). The level loaded nicely, and the map turned out quite well.




Like with level 7, I have passed the graphics file to Saul to alter to make it look even more improved. I am very pleased with how things have turned out so far, and there is another level of Cruiser-X 79 (Level 9) I have in mind. It will be slightly easier on the game front, but there are harder aliens to come.


No comments:

2023 at a glance

2024 is here, and 2023 has been a really quiet year on the production front due to everything that had gone back to normality. The year has ...