Monday, 3 March 2014

Buzzing its way to Level 2

3rd March 2014

A little more work today, since I am currently on holiday (away from work) all this week, until next Tuesday, which I return. It has been hard work today working on Honey Bee, and you'll be surprised that I have gone as far as level 2. The work on this project will eventually get easier as each session progresses. :) Before I moved on with level 2, I decided to add one more enemy to the first level. So that there were three instead of two enemies. A pink little worm. Yep, this little fella is now sliding its way back and forth - although the animation which I added is still quite wrong. It looks as if the worm is doing the moon walk :) Hahahaha!

Anyway, after feeling very happy with the layout of level 1. I decided to work on fitting enemies in place for level 2. Unfortunately I had to create some more tables, as I realised I had forgotten to update starting position tables and load / store each position to default starting points, according to the level which the player was on. Good news was that it didn't take me long. After animation, behaviour and sprite start / end positions were set for Level 2. I felt there was still something missing. Background animation. So I looked up the value of the 2 characters that formed the water fall and flowing river, and animated those. The result turned out quite nicely. I was very happy with it :) The only problem I have encountered - which can be fixed later on in the project. All enemies are using one direction animation. Basically, when worms and birds are moving forwards when they should. When they change direction, the animation is still as it was before. Which makes the enemies move backwards. I do have a good trick up my sleeve anyhow later on this week. 
I also came across another strange problem. When the player starts the game on level 2, it died straight away. That was not mean't to have happened. A strange bug. To ensure that didn't make a full impact on level 2. I lowered the player slightly. Problem solved. On to level 3 during my next session on this project. If I get 4 levels working. Then I'll need to design some more stages, then add more enemies to the game. :)

Good news is that unlike Up in the Air. I am enjoying working on this game project. As I had the opportunity to build the levels my own way, although Honey Bee was Wayne's general idea. I shall take a look at some more of his designed levels, to see if they will inspire me to design a similar level using my graphics, as well as his flower heads, spider webs, etc.

The duration of this game will depend on time and motivation with it. So far I have been very motivated :)

Stay tuned for more progress blogging :)

No comments:

Post a Comment